Vapers, as you have probably noticed, proposed ecig bans are popping up everywhere! New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg and several members on the NYC Council plan to quickly pass an ordinance that would ban ecigs from being used everywhere tobacco cigarettes are banned. Vapers would be treated like smokers again.
Supporters of the ban hope to have the full City Council vote on this ordinance at their meeting on Thursday, December 19th at 1:30pm at City Hall (260 Broadway), when most New Yorkers are distracted by the winter holidays. That is why it is so important that you contact the NYC Council members!
New York City Residents, please:
1. Contact your own representative on the NYC Council by phone or email. You can find their contact info here.
2. Contact the entire City Council to express your opposition, and let them know that you would like them not to support the ecig usage ordinance.
3. Meet up with other vapers in NY to show solidarity against the ban. Events will probably be on Wed., Dec. 18 or Thurs., Dec. 19. E-cig consumer group CASAA (Consumer Advocates for Smoke-free Alternatives Association) has the most up-to-date details on their website here.
What to say when you contact the City Council:
1. Always be respectful, but stay firm and ask them to oppose the proposed ordinance that would define smoking to include using smoke-free electronic cigarettes.
2. Tell them your personal story about how your life has changed since switching from tobacco cigarettes to ecigs.
3. Passing the ban would force you to vape outside in designated smoking areas, and forced to breathe in second-hand smoke.
Thanks for your help in stopping the New York City ban on ecigs! Please share this info with anyone who has an interest in opposing this e-cigarette ban.