Best way to empty a tank
Soon my new order of stuff will be here and the first mission is to replace my tanks carto.
Assuming my tank will have 1-2ML's of juice in it.. what is the best way to get that juice out without making a giant mess or wasting juice?
SnowDragon you got a vid for this kind of thing?
I am predicting a giant disaster without some tips... :doh:
Funny you should mention tips ;)
I don't think SnowDragon has a video for it (yet) but Blue has a great idea of how to do it:
Slide the carto down enough so that there is a gap.
Put the drip tip on the top and use that as a spout to pour the juice out of the tank into the bottle.
Let me see if I can find his exact instructions just in case I missed something. I've never actually done it this way because I just use a syringe to suck all the juice out.
Here it is. Post #9:
And lol, I did miss a step! You have to remove the top of the bottle! Not just the cap, but the dropper top part.
If there is barely and juice, you can hold it horizontally a bit, take the old carto out, and hold your finger over the top, slide in new carto with kind of a balancing act letting the juice flow to the bottom beside the new carto instead of getting into it.
This has worked for me IF there isn't much juice in it, also depends on if its a 3.5 tank or 6.
If there is too much juice and you are confident it will get in the new carto regardless, maybe try a syringe? If you have one, to get the remainder out. If not, maybe Harmony has a different way.
You can also, when putting a new carto in the tank kind of push it to one side of the tank while inserting to avoid the juice that's in the tank from getting in it, especially with 6ML tanks, kind of hard to explain, I believe it just takes a little messing with before you get it down :)
Sorry if my explanation confused lol.
Edit: looking at your post again, I didn't see that you were looking to switch juices in the tank completely and save the remainder in the tank, or if you were trying to simply keep the same juice and replace the carto, if you were looking to save the juice and switch juices completely, disregard my explanation lol. Sorry!
Sent from my EVO 4G - Tapatalk 2
For the record, while you may have read one of my descriptions of doing this, it came straight from SnowDragon, and all credit goes to him. I just regurgitated it. I looked at the post you linked above, and its' kinda brief without full context, here's another version, covering in better detail the steps of draining a tank, as well as filling one, based on my interpetation of SD's info.
You will notice that I repeat cautions on almost every line to hold or brace the endcaps somehow -- one of the most common causes of major spills I have seen are by people accidentally popping out the top or bottom endcap while trying to insert or remove a carto or the drip tip. Please excuse the repetition, but do pay it proper heed.
Emptying the tank, SnowDragon style:
1. Get a juice bottle (either empty, or same flavor with enough room left in it), unscrew the cap, and pull the dripper top off of the bottle and set aside.
2. Hold tank in one hand, with a finger bracing the top endcap, and remove the drip tip from the top.
3. While holding the tank, now brace the bottom endcap, and use the drip tip to push the carto down into the tank from the top by pushing on the edge of the carto that's sticking up, until some is sticking out down below.
4. Pull the carto out a little further from the bottom, still bracing the endcap so you don't accidentally pull it out too.
5. Once there is a gap between top of carto and top cap, put dt back in the hole (not in the carto, just the hole where it was), and hold it there with your fingers as it's a kind of loose fit. I find the clear DTs that come with the cartos work best for this, rather than ming or calabash ones, plus you can see the juice flow through them.
6. While holding the tank/DT in place in the top hole, with the carto still plugging the bottom hole, carefully pour the juice from the tank back into the bottle, using that DT as the 'funnel'.
7. Put the drip top back on the bottle, and screw cap back on until ready to use it to refill this or another tank.
Refilling the tank, Snowdragon style:
1. Once you've done this, you can go ahead and pull the old carto the rest of the way out. At that point, I then get my new one, wipe my fingers on the old one to get some juice on them, and use that to 'lube up' the new carto. I then slide it in 3/4 of the way, and then fill the tank 3/4 with juice (from the top) while holding at a 45 degree angle.
2. Push the carto the rest of the way in, while bracing the top cap so you don't pop it out by accident, and re-insert a drip tip (also bracing bottom so you don't pop that out either!).
3. With tank in hand, cover the bottom battery connection hole with a finger, and take several dry hits, to draw liquid from the tank into the new carto. Do this until about 1/8" of the liquid is sucked in.
4. Remove DT again (while bracing endcaps), push the slightly back down again using the edge of the drip tip (while bracing endcaps), hold at 45 degree angle and fill back up with juice as much as you can without it spilling into the top of the carto. (I usually fill to about 85-90% full.)
5. Push carto back in fully (yes, brace the endcaps), and then drip 10-14 drops in from the top to saturate the carto from the top (it was already saturated from the bottom in earlier steps).
6. Hold it up to the light and see if you can see a light through the wick tube clearly. If it's not clear or blocked at all, you've filled a little too much and need to clear the wick tube. To do this, place a tissue over the drip tip and take a few quick dry puffs (this time NOT holding the battery end hole closed). This should draw the liquid up and out into the tissue, and you should then have a clear view when looking through.
After this point, sometimes I let them 'sit' for 20mins or so, but other times I've vaped them right away, so I don't think that step is really needed if you did the other steps well.
Again, I take no credit for this other than taking the time to type up both emptying and refilling based on what Snowdragon has taught me. Snowdragon, please correct me wherever I have misregurgitated you. I apologize if this is redundant, but I didn't see this all in one place elsewhere and hoped it would help.
Thanks Blue!! I thought it was SnowDragon who mentioned it, but in my search I only saw your post. That's the reason for my "reason for editing".
No worries - I am happy to take credit for trying to help people, but I always do prefer to attribute techniques and data where possible to those who truly contributed them to us, when I can remember.
+1 Blue and KevN!!!
If you want to drain the tank completely follow Blue's most excellent reply, couldn't have said it better myself. However, if you are just looking to swap out the carto, as KevN mentioned turn the tank on it's side. If the juice isn't above the cap holes just get the replacment carto ready, pull off your drip tip, push the carto out, remove it while keeping the tank sideways and slide the new carto in. Just keep in mind that you will have to add 12-18 drops, and take a few primer draws to just like you did when you initially filled it.
I will be doing some video on this now that I have a little free time in the next week or so.
Vape. A lot.
Originally Posted by SmokeySmokey
Eyes are too tired to read everyone else's responses, but I just push the carto down into the tank a bit, grab a syringe, suck out the juice, then when I'm getting down to the last little bit of juice, tilt it sideways (making sure the hole in the needle is flush with the side of the tank) and suck the rest out. Then I either squirt the juice back into it's respective bottle, or into the new clean tank carto.
**Hopefully that made sense, it's bedtime here :lol: **