OMG! Last night I killed 2 slimline chargers!!! This hasn't happened to me before and I don't understand what I did wrong. Here's the story...
All 6 of my slimline chargers were working fine except for one which occasionally took some turning on & off before it lit up - not one of the chargers that died. Because I'm in Oz, I use adapters to plug the US pin chargers into an Australian power board.
In the afternoon I did my routine battery & charger cleaning. I used alcohol swabs & a toothpick to push the swab into the threads of the chargers. Both chargers were used without problem after that process, so I don't think that's the cause.
In the evening, I think I had 2-3 batteries charging already and went to charge another one. I turned on the switch, charger light came on, went to screw the battery in. As soon as the battery touched the charger there was a flash and an acrid electrical burning smell. Charger dead. Screwed battery into another charger, all fine. Later in evening went to screw another battery into another charger, exactly the same thing happened!
Checked today, both chargers are definitely dead. Neither has any blackening that I can see. The adapters I use with them both work still. Nothing tripped a fuse or the surge protection on the power board, the batteries recharged on other chargers and seem to be fine today.
Any ideas what would cause 2 chargers to do that ?