Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 carto questions, please

ico

3 carto questions, please

I have 3 smileos and 5 tank cartos that I can clean. The 3 active tank cartos I have are starting to leak, even though they haven't processed 40 mL yet, so I'm going to try to clean the others.

I'm going to get warm water, soak 'em, then turkey baste them. I do this 3 times. Since alcohol and I don't go well together, I really can't use alcohol for cleaning. Thus, question 1: What else can I use?

Then I'm going to dry them 1-2 days. Considering it's cold and the sun disappears for extended periods of time here, question 2: Can I position them by a heat vent to dry them?

Once dry, I'd like to know the carto resistance. I do have a multimeter. I need to set it to 200 or lower on the resistance/ohm side. Question 3: Where do I put which probe?

Thanks in advance!

Darin McFarland
    If they are still leaking after a warm water cleaning then it is likely there is a hole in the wicking tube. Probably a burn-thru. This does happen in very small ways without imparting a burnt paper taste so it can be hard to detect, but the most common cause of leaking cartos, besides over-filling, is damage to or separation of the wicking tube.

Water or drinking alcohol are the only thing I know to be safe for rinsing and cleaning cartos.

dry, warm air is ok for aiding in drying carts, as long as they're not too close to anything that will damage them, positioning them by a heat vent should be fine.

Morandir, sir would be the one to ask about the probe...

Hope this helps!

Happy Vaping!!

Morandir835
    Ico sir the negative probe goes on the threading, the positive probe on the post of the carto.

ico
    Thanks, sirs!

Morandir835
    No problem sir.

plaster
    I've tried everclear on one smileo and 5 tank cartos. In each case, I soaked them all in the alcohol for a few hours, then soaked them in warm water for a few hours. Cleaned them out with the turkey baster, spun them, then put them in a bowl of rice for a few days. 4 of the 5 cartos and the smileo caught fire after about an hour of use. It wasn't throwing flames, but i actually looked at the coil and it looked like the burner on an electric stove. That's some serious heat. The remaining one worked fine, but had the alcohol taste that never faded. Needless to say, I no longer soak in everclear. Water only and I get amazing life out of all of them. I've had tank cartos last upwards of 3 months before going bad. I just make it a point to clean them semi-monthly.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

CrueLworLD
    Wow, you got some hardcore everclear! I used to soak with everclear and never came across that. I'd even soak for 24 hours in the stuff, then rinse with h20, Then I'd dry em for 4 days or so.

plaster
    180 proof I believe. Damn near straight ethyl. Another thing I forgot to mention is the water. I either use bottled, or filtered water. Tap water tends to leave mineral deposits on the coils, in return adding an odd taste to the carto for a while.

Sent from my LG Optimus G using Tapatalk

CrueLworLD
    I hear ya on the tap water, parts on my tank started to get some white residue while it was drying. I won't even drink that junk anymore.

Morandir835
    Have only heard of that happening if you didn't let them thoroughly dry Plaster sir. Always say wait at least 24 hours after an everclear soak before use. Sounds like there was still some alcohol inside the carto when you fired it, and yes everclear (as stated on the bottle) is flammable....